Snow is falling, everyone’s breaking out their Christmas sweaters, and the seasonal holiday drinks are back at Starbucks. You know what that means…
It’s finals week!
Ah, finals. The only thing sitting between me and the most wonderful time of the year. Both my exhaustion and my need to cuddle my dogs are at an all-time high, but here I am sitting in my dorm room studying away (and procrastinating a bit). So much of me wants to snap my fingers and be home. Buuuut, I can’t quite do that.
It is a strange start of the holiday season for me. I have been so focused on school that I almost forgot the holiday break was approaching so soon. Everyone here at CMU is trying to juggle spreading the holiday cheer while studying our butts off for exams. I feel both jolly and stressed at the same time- it’s a very conflicting feeling.
Since it is the last week of my first semester of college, though, I’m feeling very reflective. So much of my life has changed since I’ve moved in. I feel like I have matured and grown to be a more independent person. It has been a pretty crazy four months, but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world. I have met some of the most inspiring people here who fill my days with excitement and adventure. I am so thankful for the friends I have made- they’ve helped me through homesickness and brought me out of my comfort zone quite a bit. Not seeing any of them for three whole weeks is going to be rough.
Some of my favorite memories from this semester include:
- Going on a spontaneous trip to a reindeer farm with two of my pals
- Baking and decorating 72 Christmas cookies even though no want wanted to eat them
- Post-debate lunches at Fresh with the debate fam
- Going to the Christmas parade in downtown Mount Pleasant
- Going to Torch Lake for Labor Day weekend with my suite mate
- Singing (or should I say screaming) along to “A Year Without Rain” by Selena Gomez around campus with Ash Varn at night
- The Central vs. Western Game when my sister and best friend came to CMU
- Late night runs to the market
- Discovering The Diner, which has the BEST chicken caesar wraps
- Going on a roomie date to Olive Garden and then to PetCo to get our fish (his name is Lil’ Chip)
- Coffee dates with Sarah and Kelsey
- Running my third half-marathon with my sister
- The LAS Christmas Party
To my fellow college students, I wish you the best of luck this finals week. Take deep breaths, get some sleep, and try to avoid mental breakdowns. Everything is going to work out just fine. After all, the most stressful time of the year is followed by the most wonderful time of the year!
Happy Holidays! 🙂