2017 was another year full of learning. I challenged myself more academically, I got a job, I had one of the best summers of my life, and I gained a lot of great friendships. I’m grateful for the experiences 2017 gave me but I am more than ready for the new year. As cheesy as it sounds, a new year calls for a fresh start. And I know the change in date doesn’t mean I’m magically going to be able to turn my life around, but I figured I might as well look at this year with as positive of a mindset as possible. Because if not now, when?
So here are some of my goals for the year of 2018, because I know I have it in me to accomplish them.
- Treat my body with more respect. Work out more because it makes me feel good. Run. Hike. And stop eating junk food because that does absolutely no good for me. Instant gratification isn’t worth it.
- Process my anxiety better. I have general anxiety but I tend to let it take a lot of control of my life, and since I have learned about this a lot more recently, I feel capable enough to get through the tough times better than ever.
- Balance academics, work, and a social life. I am really nervous to have a job at CMU, but I know my top priority will always be school. I want to find a good balance between school, work, and a social life in 2018. Prayin’ for this one lots.
- Run a marathon. Yes. I really mean this one. I want to run the Detroit Free Press Marathon, which is October 21st. So I have a while, but this has been a goal of mine for years, and the only way I’ll accomplish it is if I actually set the date. So here! I’m doing it. ((someone pls help me get through this lolol))
- Educate myself politically. So I want to be able to say I’m knowledgable about what’s going on in the world right now, but I really don’t know as much as I’d like to. I want to have more of an established political opinion and just understand politics in general better. Keeping up with current events will really help.
- Assert myself. I’m really bad with saying no or setting boundaries, so I just want to be better about letting people know my limits.
- Expand my taste in music. I’m obsessed with music but I normally don’t branch out of what I know and love. So I want to just listen to a lot more music this year.
- Be more spontaneous. Do things that make me happy and don’t think too into it. Those make for the best memories.
- Take more pictures. Well I sure hope this is self explanatory.
- Volunteer more. Because I need to be an active citizen not just on Alternative Breaks and not just when I’m required through clubs/scholarships.
Well, that’s all for now. Happy 2018! I’m excited to work towards these goals, and I will make an update at some point to see how I’m managing. Here’s to growth allllllllllllll year long.